Friday, July 20, 2007

Ostriches and Baboons

Last night we met up with Izak and Pieter again for dinner. I was keen on getting a pizza and staying in to watch tv but decided I needed to represent for the Americans. And it doesn't hurt when your dining companions are two lovely young Dutch lads. We went to the Fish Monger. The other four shared two huge seafood platters but I wasn't into things like calamari, fried squid, and mussels, so I ordered a seafood dish that was described as fish with a light sauce and dusted with cheese. I KNOW! Sounds delicious. It came out in this pan and I could not see anything but melted cheese. Ordinarily I would be ecstatic at the sight but there's not been a single healthy dish on any menu this whole trip and too much of a good thing is, well, fattening. Forbes' t-shirts are starting to look like belly shirts. So I explored my frontier of cheese to discover a lake of unpalatable cream sauce, and some mounds of I'm sure was fish but was cooked way too long and was like chewing squid. I ate the boiled potatoes and called it a night.

During dinner, Forbes decided it was required to tell his Sound of Music in New Zealand story. The Fish Monger is the most popular restaurant in town and we had to make reservations to get in so fair to say it was full. We were seated in the middle of the room and there was enough noise that you would have to strain to hear another table's conversation. However, Princess Charming was so proud of her story and decided that the punch line had to be shouted. "What is it Maria? What is it you cunt face?" Heads turned but Oblivious didn't notice. Repeated the punch line. I start shushing him. Once again to drive the point home. I'm throwing table wares at him. Once more in case the Africaans lads didn't catch it the first four times. For being the biggest Queen of Scotland, she's received very little formal training.

This morning we got packed and on the road to our safari to Oudtshoorn. We booked a tent lodge in a compound called Buffelsdrift. The drive has been intriguing. The landscape is mountainous with valleys for driving. The mountains are very rugged, jutting, and covered in green. Every once in a while a baboon family is seen playing just off the road and ostrich farms dot the land. One ostrich farm will plan to visit offers rides on them. I will decline because I don't like the idea of a bird having to haul around my ass just for a photo-op. I am also unconvinced of the game dives and exploitation of the majestic animals so tourists can make it sound like they were stalking the mighty lion to observe its habits when they are carted around by an SUV. Despite my almost-convictions, I will take the game tour anyway. What the hell, I'm here.


A blurry picture of the landscape as taken from the car at a fast speed.