Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bloemfontein

Forbes and Johann's flight was delayed out of Dubai by an hour. When I was in Dakar, I asked Forbes by text what we should do if either mine or his flight was delayed. Should I still go on to Bloemfontein or miss my flight and wait for them. In the sentence, Forbes said it was 115 degrees in Dubai and that I was confusing him with my questions. And something about a cane.

So when I got to Johannesburg, they were an hour late leaving only 90 minutes to clear customs, reclaim bags, and check-in. When we finally talked by phone, it was 5 minutes before the flight was closing and I could tell Forbes was out of breath. So I looked down the pathway that scissors its way from the ground floor to departures and could see Johann's red face running up the pathway. They were both dripping with sweat but we made our check-in.

The flight was short, for me anyway because I slept during most of it. Johann's mother, Isabel was there waiting for us. She's a very lovely lady. She let me know that I have my own private room so I can sleep undisturbed. I told her just as long as she kept Forbes away from me I would remain undisturbed.

We schelped our luggage to her car. The airport here is very small, especially considering it's an international one. Reminded me a bit of the one in Launceston, Tasmania. After some wrangling we got all of our hat boxes in the car.

We are now riding in the car to Isabel's house. We've been riding for about an hour. I didn't realize this but she lives outside Bloemfontein in the country. The stars are incredibly bright and I'll be looking for the Southern Cross when we get out of the car. So far we've only seen a few houses so it's looks to be fairly remote. Seems tomorrow we are making the trek back to Bloemfontein to see the city.